Be It Ever So Humble...

A Photo of Sobriety
What on earth am I talking about with this picture, you ask. It's a shot of the front of my house. The lawn looks a little bleached out, the landscaping is hard to see, and birds at the first-year birdfeeder are impossible to see. So what makes this a picture of my sobriety?

In past summers, when I was drinking off and on, I didn't care what the yard looked like. I worked on it -- sometimes -- mowed -- sometimes -- and watered the tomato plants -- rarely. At times I mowed during and after drinking, and other times I was unable. I claimed I was sick or something and left the chore up to my wife when she got home from work and the day's weather was at its hottest.

This week, I trimmed with the electric trimmer and mowed with the handle broken on the mower, making the job even harder. But I did it! I have done it all summer.

My yard is a place of beauty compared to other summers. My arms and legs and cardio-vascular system are getting stronger. Above is no cover photo for Home and Garden, but it's a source of pride for me. During the past few years, my brain and lawn both were weedy and disgusting. This year, the well-manicured landscaping reminds me that I am 100% sober.

Comments