Leave Your Pity Pot And Find Life

My friend and his wife spent last night with us on the way to visit family in Cleveland. This friend, as a matter of fact, was the best man in my wedding 41 years ago.

They told me about an inspirational adventurer and author, Eric Weihenmayer. A degenerative eye disease at birth left him blind by 13. He didn't let that barrier stop him. In fact. one of his books, about kayaking the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon is called No Barriers. Another gem is Touch the Top of the World, which tells the story of his climb to the top of Mount Everest -- the only blind person ever to do it -- and his scaling of the Seven Summits, one of only 150 people ever to make it.   https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/332900/touch-the-top-of-the-world-by-erik-weihenmayer/9780452282940/

What heights to you suppose he would have achieved if not for being blind? He accepted being sightless as a challenge to overcome, not a handicap that kept him at home. He has been an inspiration to unknown numbers of people with and without physical and mental challenges to stretch beyond their limitations.

One could say the same about alcoholism. It is a handicap to living a full life, but it doesn't have to be. By taking a weakness and conquering it, then sharing that success to inspire others, alcoholics, like the blind, have an opportunity they wouldn't otherwise have.

I learned that suffering alcoholics have three outcomes open to them: jail, institutions, and death. Recovering from alcoholism opens many more doors. I can help others battling addictions understand and overcome the triggers that led them to drink and keep coming back to the trough.

I guarantee I never will kayak through the Grand Canyon or climb Mount Everest. But I do promise to turn my disease into an asset that can benefit myself and others.

Comments