God Is Way Better Than Being Drunk; And Never a Hangover!

"Joy is the settled assurance that God is in control of all the details of my life, the quiet confidence that ultimately everything is going to be all right, and the determined choice to praise God in all things."  -- Kay Warren, Choose Joy (http://kaywarren.com/choosejoy/)

How comforting! To know that God is in control of my life, to be confident everything will be all right, to choose to keep in touch with God.

You know, that sounds better than getting drunk and passing out in the living room. Been there, done that. But how do I move beyond the "old me?" Even if we are convinced change is necessary, so is patience. You can't demand patience to arrive right away. Change takes time, but is well worth the wait.

The Big Book comes with appendices that I  overlooked for a long time. The second, called "Spiritual Awareness," cautions, "...Our first printing gave many readers the impression that these personality changes, or religious experiences [I prefer the word "spiritual" to "religious"], must be in the nature of sudden and spectacular upheavals. Happily for everyone, this conclusion is erroneous.... Most of our experiences are what the psychologist William James calls the 'educational variety' because they develop slowly over a period of time."

Max Lucado, author of Glory Days (https://www.christianbook.com/glory-living-your-promised-land-life/max-lucado/9780849948497/pd/948497?kw=21904558092&mt=b&dv=c&event=PPCSRC&p=1186432&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkMft_7re3AIVnUsNCh3e8Af_EAAYAiAAEgLwUfD_BwE), tells about flying into Houston with a need to catch a connecting flight to San Antonio, the last such flight of the day. Storms delayed his plane's arrival, and he was all worked up that he would miss his connection, spend the night in Houston, and arrive a day late to his destination.

Then over the loudspeaker came a reassuring voice. "'This is the pilot. I know many of you have connections. Relax. You'll make them. We are holding your planes. We have a place for you.'

"Well, I thought, he wouldn't say that if he didn't mean it. So I decided to trust his promise. I didn't call (my wife). I stopped thinking about hotels. I quit checking my watch. I relaxed. I waited my turn to get off the plane and set my sights on my gate.

"Other people in the airport weren't so fortunate. They, also victims of inclement weather, were in a panic. Travelers were scrambling, white faced and worried.... Too bad their pilot hadn't spoken to them. Or perhaps he had and they hadn't listened."

Relax. Trust God's promise. Here is the third of three pertinent ideas found on page 60 of the Big Book:  That God could and would if He were sought."

Seek Him. Your alcoholic life won't change overnight. After all, you didn't become a drunk overnight, did you?

Comments