Drinking and Yard Work Don't Mix


My yard got to looking pretty bad when I was drinking. I didn't care. Sometimes I didn't have the energy to mow, so my wife had to do it after work while I watched TV and snuck some more vodka into my iced tea. Weeds grew unchecked in the shrubbery beds, and the tomatoes and peppers we planted indoors from seed went unwatered and mostly unharvested.

This summer there's no bottle hidden in the house. I enjoy cherry tomatoes off the vines like candy. I stake up the plants that need support. I weed out the shrubbery beds and this afternoon, I trimmed the holly bush out front. It no longer grows wildly, and neither do I. I will let that bush grow as a tribute to sobriety.

I suggest you look realistically at the debris in your yard. Clean it up. But more important, clean up the mess alcohol does to your brain.

Comments