Alcoholics Have No Reason to Hide Their Recovery

I hesitated about posting to my Facebook friends I was alcoholic. I thought long and hard. What will people think of me? What do people think of alcoholics in general?

A.A.'s Twelfth Step says, "Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs."

It dawned on me that I could do a better job carrying the message to alcoholics if people knew they could come to me for support. I added the address of this blog on Facebook so friends could read this and refer others to it.

I received a huge outpouring of love and empathy as a result of sharing my disease. Facebook friends added to the number of views of this blog. I shouldn't have been so hesitant to tell others of my disease.

From page 20 of the Big Book: "Our very lives, as ex-problem drinkers, depend upon our constant thought of others and how we may help meet their needs." And from page 124: "Showing others who suffer how we were given help is the very thing which makes life seem so worth while to us now."

Many more famous than I have come forward with our alcoholism disease. Here is a link to 10 well-known people who once suffered as I did and eventually admitted to it:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPzudfgE6yE

One star missing is one of my favorites, Dick van Dyke. His brief story is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDq_nvcjFCQ

Comments