In the Driver's Seat -- Part 5

Here goes the last part of this series. I asked what drives your life. Rick Warren in The Purpose-Driven Life (https://www.churchsource.com/rickwarren) suggests five drivers that often distract us from what really should be driving our lives. Yesterday it was materialism. Today:

The Need for Approval -- This was really me. I guess it still is. I was overwhelmed with a need to please my parents. I kept my hair a certain way, wore certain clothes, listened to certain music, and, for the most part, followed the rules of the house. Same in school. I remember being a tattletale. That didn't win approval from my classmates, but I believed I was grabbing positive attention from my teachers. It all seems silly now.

"Unfortunately, those who follow the crowd usually get lost in it. I don't know all the keys to success, but one key to failure is to try to please everyone. Being controlled by the opinions of others is a guaranteed way to miss God's purposes for your life."

Comments