Who Made Me Judge and Jury? Not God!

I am Facebook friends with many people I graduated high school with 45 years ago (almost to the exact day!). Some of them I hung around with in school and out. But many of them I barely knew. Some I can't remember at all. But each one brings to the keyboard some kind of wisdom. They are parents and grandparents. Some have strong political views. Some have good jobs. Some, like me, are retired. All have contributed to society and other former classmates in some way.

When I was in high school, I rarely and barely spoke to some of these "friends." If they weren't getting all A's and B's in the classroom, as I was, they wouldn't amount to much after graduation. Was I right or was I right? I figured they would end up working on a steel mill floor, waiting on customers at  Kaufman's, or dumping trash cans into a truck.

Yes, I was that arrogant! I still had a touch of better-than-youism when I started with AA. At least there, I knew we all shared at least one same problem. But as I read Facebook posts from high school "rejects" and got to know A.A. people from all backgrounds and all economic levels, I finally learned. Arrogance was one of  my biggest character flaws. Sobriety meant fixing my defects. It meant understanding that God created all of us equal and has important tasks for us to do with the talents he gave us. I hope I wasn't judged as narrow-mindedly as I judged others.

Now that I have re-discovered the God of my understanding and know that He loves us all the same, I have been able to shed my arrogance. By doing so, I find great learnings from all people I come in contact with -- face to face and Facebook to Facebook.

Comments