Becoming The Exercist

I don't believe in exorcising spirits, but I sure do believe in exercising spirits.

No priest or holy water are required for the latter. A good pair of shoes and maybe some Gatorade and you are all set to exercise. Your spirit will soon be in good spirits. Working out is essential to the health of all, but an alcoholic needs workouts as much as an AA sponsor to feel well again.

After I finish writing this post, I will brave the Kentucky heat to take a brisk walk through my neighborhood. It's a far cry from my prime when I ran marathons and often 20-plus mile training runs. Bad knees, old age, and alcohol have all taken a toll on my physical well-being. Nevertheless, I can't allow myself to collect cobwebs in my easychair.

So I walk. Or use my elliptical machine in the basement. Or cut grass and do other yard work. If going to the gym, riding a bike, or swimming are more your athletic cup of tea, go for it. Just do something to raise your heart rate for at least 30 minutes four days or more per week. I do extra most days because I have some extra fat calories to burn up.

Exercise is as good for our brains as it us for our brawn, When we exercise, our brains get a dose of the same chemicals that once made drinking feel good. Endorphins and serotonin are pleasure chemicals and are released during and after physical exertion, even light exertion.  See https://www.livestrong.com/article/197569-seratonin-endorphins-exercise/) If you think a drink is going to make you feel better, instead of giving in to evil temptations go for a walk. After a half hour or so of walking and thinking, then see if you still need that drink.

One day at a time; one workout at a time.

Comments